Week 3

The three conventions which we used were continuous, develop and change. I found change the easiest to dance as it flowed more naturally. As the other conventions you had to think about it either developing the movement or trying to continue the move. Even though I found this the easiest convention it meant I resorted to doing habitual and repeating movements.

When improvising I used my focus. This lead to me being able to see my surroundings and what was happening with the other dancers around me. Once I had increased my focus I noticed that my movements were bigger and my confidence had grown. I think this happened as just once for a split second I looked at the dancers around me I noticed that they were moving along similar lines as I was.

When doing the task in partners with one dancers shouting out ‘change’. I had to change my movements as soon as change was being shouted at me. I found this challenging but fun. My movement material was very basic whilst completing this task I resulted in doing stretches or kicks to make sure I was moving constantly throughout.

Do you intend to move that way?

When improvising I always go back to what I know and what I have been taught in the past, so before I start to improvise I have thoughts in my head about what movements to do after each one, leaving with me intention. When I struggle with movement I have to intend so I can keep my movement flowing. Ruth Zaporah states that ‘ So when I’m struggling, of course there’s intending going on’ (Zaporah in De Spain,2014,70). I agree with this statement as when you are struggling with movements you have to intend on something to take your movement off again.

How does form influence improvisation?

Form influences improvisation by beginning with an initial idea or task which then leads you into improvisation. The space around you also influences your improvisation as the space is one of the main forms you have to consider so your movements material fits within the space. The duration of your piece is also a form to take into consideration so you know when to start and end your movement material.

What is the difference between attention and awareness?

Kent De Spain states that ‘Attention is an international focus on a specific thing’. (De Spain, 2014,168) This means that when you put your attention to someone/ something it is only on one object/ person.

De Spain says that ‘Awareness is a state of being open to stimuli’ this states that to be aware of something is that you know what is there but you aren’t putting your attention purely on that one thing. (De Spain, 2014,168)

During the improvisation jam, the score which we was produced was to join in and out of the space making solos, duets, trios and quartets. Throughout this process I felt like whenever I joined into the space, I travelled in a circle then went out of the space. I also noticed that it was hard to adjust. From stage one and two we had to stick to certain movements like walking, running and turning. On the other hand in stage three we didn’t have any limitations meaning we was free to do what our bodies felt natural. I enjoyed this jam as it wasn’t something which I had never done before and was an experience I would like to relive.

De Spain, K.(2014) Landscape of the now: a topography of movement improvisation. New York,USA: Oxford University press.